If a tooth has been broken or damaged by decay, your dentist will try to fix it with a filling, crown or other treatment. Sometimes though, there's too much damage for the tooth to be repaired. In this case, the tooth needs to be extracted. A very loose tooth also will require extraction if it can't be saved.Here are other reasons for having the tooth extracted:
- - Some people have extra teeth that block other teeth from coming in.
- - Sometimes baby teeth don't fall out in time to allow the permanent teeth to come in.
- - People getting braces may need teeth extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place.
- - People receiving radiation to the head and neck may need to have teeth in the field of radiation extracted.
- - People receiving cancer drugs may develop infected teeth because these drugs weaken the immune system. Infected teeth may need to be extracted.
- - Some teeth may need to be extracted if they could become a source of infection after an organ transplant. People with organ transplants have a high risk of infection because they must take drugs that decrease or suppress the immune system.
- - Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are often extracted either before or after they come in. They commonly come in during the late teens or early 20s. They need to be removed if they are decayed, cause pain or have a cyst or infection. These teeth often get stuck in the jaw and do not come in. This can irritate the gum, causing pain and swelling. In this case, the tooth must be removed. If you need all four wisdom teeth removed, they are usually taken out at the same time.
From check-ups to deep cleanings, our friendly dental team offer high quality dental services for the whole family.
It is very important to have children’s first dental visit at the age of 2 years old, when all the primary teeth have erupted.
Learn how sleep dentistry and sedation dentistry can minimise pain and discomfort for surgical procedures such as dental implants, crowns and bridges.
For fast and effective teeth whitening as well as solutions for misaligned teeth such as porcelain veneers or invisible braces, our dentists can help.
Saving your smile and reducing your pain is our priority. Our dental team is always willing to help with emergency dental needs.
Playing active sports has the potential to cause trauma and injury. A customised well-fitting mouthguard is the only way to adequately protect yourself.